So it’s Friday and the first official day of fall. Happy Autumn! I cannot believe how fast 2011 has flown by. Before we know it, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas will also be distant memories and we’ll be ringing in a new year. I like using the change of seasons as a time to reflect on where I’ve been and where I’m going. Fall has historically been a season of starting anew – we would go back to school, I started my first full-time job, and my sister got married in the fall. And fall is when the birthday season in my family begins (October, November, December, January, & February – at least one birthday a month for the next 5 months). In addition to a time of new beginnings, there are many other wonderful things about fall. These are some of my favorites (in no particular order):
- cooler temps that allow for wearing jeans, leggings, sweaters, and of course, knee high boots;
- squash is in season, so lots of orange and yellow vegetables in my diet (pumpkin and butternut squash, specifically);
- warm soups that help ground and balance an out of whack vata dosha (vata dosha is a body type in the science of ayurveda), such as butternut squash;
- pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin custard, pumpkin bread – sense a theme, I do love pumpkin and so much, that it warrants separate recognition on this list;
- peppermint hot chocolate, pumpkin spice lattes, and gingerbread lattes from Starbucks – nice sweet treats on cold work mornings;
- the Charlie Brown holiday specials: “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown”, “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving”, and “A Charlie Brown Christmas”;
- football season begins – GO GIANTS!!! (For better or worse, this jersey girl is a NY Giants fan. And I try to watch the Giants games whenever I can, but at a minimum, I follow the score.);
- more opportunities to visit with my family (birthdays and holidays are always grounds for spending time in NJ).
Fall is a great time of year. Hoping that this fall brings you opportunities for new beginnings, reflections on times past, and enjoyment of some of your fall favorites. Happy Autumn!
What are your favorite things about fall?